Great Lakes Basin Action Camp 2014 – May 13-20
A Camp for Activists
Looking for a different vacation this year? Learn to be a more effective activist at the Great Lakes Basin Action Camp 2014. The week-long camp will be held May 13 through May 20, at the Circle Pines Center in Southwest Michigan.
The Action Camp is organized by Backbone Campaign, whose mission is to:
Provide creative strategies, artful activism training, and creative action support to progressive activists, organizers and organizations around the US and beyond in order to invigorate and nurture a people-power, community-based, and internationally-networked nonviolent social movement for human rights, thriving communities, and ecological well-being.
The Great Lakes Basin Action Camp 2014 curriculum covers a wide range of practical and creative action skills, with workshops in the following areas:
- Eviction protection, credit union organizing, and other community-based organizing strategies
- Community organizing skills, fundraising, and local strategies
- Nonviolent direct action training & blockade techniques
- Arts for social change such as imagery design, giant puppet, inflatables, prop construction, flash mobs, D.I.T. silkscreen
- Campaign design: grand strategy, creative tactics, and earned media
- Giant banner construction and deployment (overpasses, helium-powered, etc.)
- Light & video projection as protest
- Climb training like rappelling for banner drops and forest protection
- Getting Press, making your own media, and social media tips
- Water-based nonviolent tactics, kayaking and boating skills
There is another camp scheduled later in the summer at Vashon Island, Washington. The 6th Annual Northwest Localize This! Action Camp will be held from August 5th – 11th, 2014.