Will Solar Roadways Be THE American Infrastructure Project?
Solar Roadways: a Win-Win Solution
The solar roadways concept is gaining popularity and support. Why not? Solar roadways would increase driving safety, produce lots of good jobs, and save us from the threat of climate change!
Imagine the greatest U.S. infrastructure project of them all: Solar Roadways! Here’s a video to get your visionary juices flowing….
Solar FREAKIN’ Roadways!
Solar Roadways Croudsourcing Campaign
Solar Roadways, the company, is gearing-up for solar panel production. They need funding, and now they’re depending on a grass-roots effort. Their croudsourcing campaign has reached nearly double their $1 million goal. If you’d like to contribute to this exciting endeavor, head over to the Solar Roadways project at IndieGoGo.
Solar Roadways Facts
Here’s more information about Solar Roadways (from their website):
- Solar Roadways has [already] received two phases of funding from the U.S. Federal Highway Administration for research and development of a paving system that will pay for itself over its lifespan. We are about to wrap up our Phase II contract (to build a prototype parking lot) and now need to raise funding for production.
- Our glass surface has been tested for traction, load testing, and impact resistance testing in civil engineering laboratories around the country, and exceeded all requirements.
- Solar Roadways is a modular system that will modernize our aging infrastructure with an intelligent system that can become the new Smart Grid. We won the Community Award of $50,000 by getting the most votes in GE’s Ecomagination Challenge for “Powering the Grid” in 2010. We had the most votes again in their 2011 Ecomagination Challenge for “Powering the Home”.
- On August 21, 2013, Solar Roadways was selected by their peers as a Finalist in the World Technology Award For Energy, presented in association with TIME, Fortune, CNN, and Science.
- Solar Roadways was chosen by Google to be one of their Moonshots in May of 2013.
- Solar Roadways was chosen as a finalist in the IEEE Ace Awards in 2009 and 2010.
- Solar Roadways has given presentations around the country including: TEDx Sacramento, Google’s Solve for X at Google’s NYC Headquarters, NASA, Keynote Speaker for the International Parking Institute’s Conference and much more…
- Solar Roadways is tackling more than solar energy: The FHWA tasked us with addressing the problem of stormwater. Currently, over 50% of the pollution in U.S. waterways comes from stormwater. We have created a section in our Cable Corridors for storing, treating, and moving stormwater.
- The implementation of our concept on a grand scale could create thousands of jobs in the U.S. and around the world. It could allow us all the ability to manufacture our way out of our current economic crisis.