Senator Bernie Sanders is fighting to stop the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement.
- Sanders wrote a forceful letter to U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman demanding the release of the TPP trade agreement text.
- Sanders published an article that helps people understand the dangers of the TTP.
- Sanders created a petition to stop the TPP.
‘It is incomprehensible to me that the leaders of major corporate interests who stand to gain enormous financial benefits from this agreement are actively involved in the writing of the TPP while, at the same time, the elected officials of this country, representing the American people, have little or no knowledge as to what is in it,’ Sanders said in a letter (pdf) sent Monday to U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman. ‘Members of Congress must have the opportunity to read what is in the TPP and closely analyze the potential impact this free trade agreement would have on the American people long before the Senate votes to give the President fast track trade promotion authority.’ […]
Critics claim the TPP poses threats to civil liberties, workers rights, public health, food safety, and global financial stability. […]
So far, the only details that have been made public have come from leaked documents — representing a lack of transparency that Sanders described in his letter as ‘very troubling.’
— Deirdre Fulton, Common Dreams
10 Reasons Why the TPP Must Be Defeated
Sanders recently wrote an article that outlines Ten Reasons Why the TPP Must Be Defeated. The reasons are listed below. Read his article for the details.
- The TPP will allow corporations to outsource even more jobs overseas.
- U.S. sovereignty will be undermined by giving corporations the right to challenge our laws before international tribunals.
- Wages, benefits, and collective bargaining will be threatened.
- Our ability to protect the environment will be undermined.
- Food Safety Standards will be threatened.
- Buy America laws could come to an end.
- Prescription drug prices will increase, access to life saving drugs will decrease, and the profits of drug companies will go up.
- Wall Street would benefit at the expense of everyone else.
- The TPP would reward authoritarian regimes like Vietnam that systematically violate human rights.
- The TPP has no expiration date, making it virtually impossible to repeal.
A Petition to Stop the TPP
You may sign Sen. Bernie Sanders’ petition to Stop the TPP at his website. From there, you may easily share the petition with your social networks.