The TYT “Turk of the Year” award goes to individuals who defend the powerless. Many people demonstrated incredible courage and character in 2015. But there is one hero for the many…
Lots of great people in 2015. Who does TYT think was the best? Cenk Uygur, host of the The Young Turks, breaks it down. ~ The Young Turks
“Turk of the Year” Shortlist
- Newly elected Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for supporting important progressive actions in his country.
- Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher who gave $1M to help Syrian refugees, and Mandy Patinkin who spoke out for refugees (all representing liberal Hollywood).
- Kenyan Muslim women who put their own lives in danger to protect fellow Christian bus passengers from the al-Shabab terrorist group.
- Tywanza Sanders who took a bullet for his aunt during the Charleston church massacre.
- Shannon Johnson who saved the life of a co-worker in the San Bernadino attack.
- French president Francois Hollande for increasing the number of Syrian refugees welcomed by his country, in the face of terrorist attacks. “The people of Syria and Iraq have fled because they are martyred by the same people who attack us today…. France will remain a country of freedom.”
- Bernie Sanders who is fundamentally reforming American politics. Cenk Uygur paraphrases Sanders, “This is the most important country, because of all the effect it has throughout the world, and we need to change the system entirely.”
By definition, a Young Turk is a… “(n), 1. Young progressive or insurgent member of an institution, movement, or political party. 2. Young person who rebels against authority or societal expectations. (American Heritage Dictionary)”