Bernie Sanders addressed his supporters Thursday night. The political revolution goes forward to “reverse the drift to oligarchy.”
The goals and objectives that Sanders emphasises are outlined below.
Defeat Donald Trump…
“The major political task, that we face together, in the next five months is to make certain that Donald Trump is defeated, and defeated badly.”
Reform the Democratic Party…
Sanders states, “We must continue our grassroots effort to create the America we know that we can become. We must take that energy into the Democratic National Convention.”
Regarding his recent meeting with Sec. Clinton, Sanders affirms, “I look forward in the coming weeks to continue discussion between the two campaigns to make certain your voices are heard, and that the Democratic Party passes the most progressive platform in its history, and that Democrats actually fight for that agenda… to transform the Democratic Party so that it becomes a party of working people and young people, and not just wealthy campaign contributors – a party that has the guts to take on Wall Street, the pharmaceutical industry, the fossil fuel industry, and the other powerful special interests that dominate so much of our political and economic life.”
The Democratic Party must support:
- $15 minimum wage
- Infrastructure rebuilding and jobs creation
- Pay equity for women
- Women’s right to their own bodies
- Assault weapons ban and expanded gun background checks
- Expansion of Social Security benefits
- Modern day Glass-Steagall Act
- Breakup of largest financial institutions
- Aggressive action to combat climate change and transform our energy system
- Fracking ban to protect our water supply
- Tuition-free public colleges and universities
- Universal health care as a right
- Criminal justice reform
- Immigration reform
- Ending waste in every branch of the government, including the DOD
- Ending perpetual warfare
The Democratic Party must have a 50-state strategy. It must embrace working people and young people.
People Dedicated to Public Service…
Finally, Sanders calls for people dedicated to public service to enter state and local elections. He says we must engage at the state and local level in an “unprecedented way.” For information on how to win local elections, or to volunteer, go to BernieSanders.com/Win.
Be aware. Be fair.