Select Page

Shooting in Alexandria: Steve Scalise Shot | Time.com

Shooting in Alexandria: Steve Scalise Shot | Time.com

UPDATE: When I posted this earlier today, I should have expressed concern for the well-being of Rep. Scalise and the others injured today. At the time, it didn’t sound like they had been badly hurt. But being shot is a horrible, vulnerable, frightening experience, even when one escapes mortal injury — and I did not address that reality. Now we know Scalise is in critical condition. Please allow me to belatedly wish a complete recovery in body, mind, and spirit to those injured: Rep. Scalise, staffers, and police officers.


Out of principle, I do not condone violence of any kind, not overt, and not passive (like letting people die when you could create legislation that would save lives). I’m simply surprised this has not happened sooner.

Maybe now, Republicans will take an interest in domestic terrorism. Or gun control. Or hate crimes. Maybe they will begin to have an inkling how hard it will be to get re-elected come 2018 (heads up, establishment Democrats, you too).


“A top Republican leader in Congress and others were shot early Wednesday morning in Virginia while practicing for an annual charity baseball game, authorities and witnesses said, sending at least five people to the hospital.”

READ MORE: Shooting in Alexandria: Steve Scalise Shot | Time.com


Aware & Fair

Advertisements

About The Author

JoAnn Chateau

JoAnn Chateau likes progressive politics and loves the canines. She writes fiction about an alpha Bichon named Chester, and his friends--with a dash of humor and a dab of poli-sci. JoAnn worked professionally in the Psychology and Information Science fields. Retired now, she enjoys the creative life.

13 Comments

    • JoAnn Chateau

      Yes. But again, misaligned loyalties (legal corruption) of legislators to the NRA and weapons manufacturers prevent that sensible action. No problems will be solved in this country until Big Money stops influencing the political system.

      Reply
  1. usfman

    I am afraid it will take more than one shooting of a congressperson to compel the opposition to see country over party.

    Reply
    • JoAnn Chateau

      It may be bringing them together… none of them want to get shot. The Reps slung hate at Obama, and the Dems sling hate at Trump. Maybe that will tone down. But they’ll all remain corporatists, rather than serve the country.

      Reply
  2. memadtwo

    They will blame Obama and Hillary, and continue to keep their guns. If the killing of children in elementary school won’t change their minds, nothing will. (K0

    Reply
  3. Robert A. Vella

    There will be lots of twists and turns as civilization spirals downward. I’m not trying to be hyperbolic, just observant.

    Reply
  4. DesertAbba

    No question about it, Joann, more guns will be the answer. Maybe every legislator should carry an automatic rifle with a 30 round clip in a golf cart at all times and places.

    Reply
  5. paulbern77

    Unless things start getting better for working Americans and retirees like myself, you can fully expect a lot more of this kind of thing all across our country as time goes on. While I’m saddened that this has happened, I’m not the least bit surprised.

    Reply
    • JoAnn Chateau

      Yes. I am saddened this is happening in the USA. The hate and inequality are pushing the least mentally firm people over the edge. One finally aimed at a power-broker, instead of a powerless individual or child.

      Reply
      • paulbern77

        America is headed for revolution. Not a civil war, as so many here in the US like to say, but a revolution. The top 1% has the other 99% in a choke-hold. We have no choice but to fight back. Otherwise we don’t survive.

  6. Rosaliene Bacchus

    When beliefs are set in stone, they’re hard to change.

    Reply

Please add your thoughts and feelings...

Categories

Archives

Advertisements

Shares, Comments & Awards

It’s always delightful to see that someone has shared one of my posts on their social networks. Thank you. I will try to return the favor. ♥

Please feel free to leave honest, constructive comments, or witty remarks. Your thoughts and feelings are important feedback to myself and other readers. ♥

This blog is award-free (unless a cash prize is involved). 😊 Still, thanks for thinking of me! ♥

Copyright

Copyright © 2013-17 • All Rights Reserved • JoAnnChateau.com

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: