Shooting in Alexandria: Steve Scalise Shot | Time.com

Republican leaders shot Wednesday morning…

Advertisements

UPDATE: When I posted this earlier today, I should have expressed concern for the well-being of Rep. Scalise and the others injured today. At the time, it didn’t sound like they had been badly hurt. But being shot is a horrible, vulnerable, frightening experience, even when one escapes mortal injury — and I did not address that reality. Now we know Scalise is in critical condition. Please allow me to belatedly wish a complete recovery in body, mind, and spirit to those injured: Rep. Scalise, staffers, and police officers.

Out of principle, I do not condone violence of any kind, not overt, and not passive (like letting people die when you could create legislation that would save lives). I’m simply surprised this has not happened sooner.

Maybe now, Republicans will take an interest in domestic terrorism. Or gun control. Or hate crimes. Maybe they will begin to have an inkling how hard it will be to get re-elected come 2018 (heads up, establishment Democrats, you too).

“A top Republican leader in Congress and others were shot early Wednesday morning in Virginia while practicing for an annual charity baseball game, authorities and witnesses said, sending at least five people to the hospital.”

READ MORE: Shooting in Alexandria: Steve Scalise Shot | Time.com

Aware & Fair

1. Guns law in America should change asap. Everyweek you mourn innocent people because of this law

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes. But again, misaligned loyalties (legal corruption) of legislators to the NRA and weapons manufacturers prevent that sensible action. No problems will be solved in this country until Big Money stops influencing the political system.

Liked by 1 person

2. I am afraid it will take more than one shooting of a congressperson to compel the opposition to see country over party.

Liked by 2 people

1. It may be bringing them together… none of them want to get shot. The Reps slung hate at Obama, and the Dems sling hate at Trump. Maybe that will tone down. But they’ll all remain corporatists, rather than serve the country.

3. They will blame Obama and Hillary, and continue to keep their guns. If the killing of children in elementary school won’t change their minds, nothing will. (K0

Liked by 1 person

4. There will be lots of twists and turns as civilization spirals downward. I’m not trying to be hyperbolic, just observant.

Liked by 1 person

5. No question about it, Joann, more guns will be the answer. Maybe every legislator should carry an automatic rifle with a 30 round clip in a golf cart at all times and places.

Liked by 2 people

1. I can see that happening, DA.

6. Unless things start getting better for working Americans and retirees like myself, you can fully expect a lot more of this kind of thing all across our country as time goes on. While I’m saddened that this has happened, I’m not the least bit surprised.

Liked by 2 people

1. Yes. I am saddened this is happening in the USA. The hate and inequality are pushing the least mentally firm people over the edge. One finally aimed at a power-broker, instead of a powerless individual or child.

Liked by 2 people

1. America is headed for revolution. Not a civil war, as so many here in the US like to say, but a revolution. The top 1% has the other 99% in a choke-hold. We have no choice but to fight back. Otherwise we don’t survive.

7. When beliefs are set in stone, they’re hard to change.

Liked by 3 people

1. Until it gets personal.

Liked by 1 person

Please add your input...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s