Creative Citizen: Colin Kaepernick
Colin Kaepernick has been awarded the 2017 Puffin/Nation Prize for Creative Citizenship. The Puffin Foundation says the “$100,000 prize… honors individuals who challenge the status quo through distinctive, courageous, imaginative, and socially responsible work of significance.” Kaepernick is donating his prize to Know Your Rights Camps, which he founded in 2016.
— The Nation Institute (@NationInstitute) December 6, 2017
“…Every year the Institute* and Puffin* wrestle over the outstanding individuals who are nominated for this [Creative Citizenship] award. Our choice this year was clear.
Colin [Kaepernick] is a true example of a creative citizen. We all know he has courageously risked his career to focus attention on the abuses by law enforcement against people of color and on the plague of institutionalized racism and oppression in the United States. But his activism and engagement go far beyond the headlines of exercising his first amendment rights to “take a knee” during the playing of the national anthem. Here’s what you may not know…”
~ Neal Rosenstein, Vice President of the Puffin Foundation
Kaepernick Is Both Widely Criticized and Recognized
Not everyone has been pleased with Colin Kaepernick’s social activism, most notably, the President. Nevertheless, Kaepernick has received a wave of cultural recognition for “taking a knee” to protest racial inequality and police brutality — and for his overall commitment to human rights advocacy.
- 2016 49er’s Len Eshmont Award for inspirational and courageous
- 2017 Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award
- Named GQ 2017 Citizen of the Year
- ACLU Eason Monroe Courageous Advocate Award
- Colin Kaepernick Items Included in Smithsonian Black Lives Matter Collection
* The Nation Institute is “dedicated to strengthening the independent press and advancing social justice and civil rights.” The Puffin Foundation gives “grants to artists and art organizations who are often excluded from mainstream opportunities due to their race, gender, or social philosophy.”
Aware & Fair