The Organic Consumers Organization (OCO) has sent out a political action alert. The U.S. Farm Bill is revised and passed every five years, and the bill will be before Congress once again in 2018. OCO is urging citizens to contact their elected representatives and tell them to “Give us a Farm Bill with more veggies!”
For faster, easier communication, you may send the OCO digital letter to your Representative. See the wording below. Naturally, you are free to make changes.
To send the OCO letter now, click on the link:
Here’s exactly what the OCO letter says…
This is Congress’s best opportunity to tackle the most serious threats to our food security: hunger, malnutrition and diet-related disease. We need changes to the Farm Bill to address the following problems:
- 1 in 8 Americans aren’t getting enough calories.
- 85% of us aren’t getting enough nutrients.
- Only 1 in 9 Americans eat the U.S.D.A. recommended 2-3 cups of vegetables per day.
- Only 1.7 cups of vegetables per person is available.
- Rep. Earl Blumenauer’s H.R. 4425, the Food and Farm Act, comprehensive legislation that refocuses federal resources on those who need it most and ensures access to healthy foods.
- Rep. Alma Adams’ H.R. 1276, the Closing the Meal Gap Act that would boost the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program minimum monthly benefit to $25 per month.
- Rep. Rick Nolan’s H.R. 4865, the Crop Insurance Modernization Act that would work to expand crop insurance to the 64 percent of vegetable acres that aren’t yet covered.
- Rep. Robin Kelly’s H.R. 3433, the Feeding America through Farm Flexibility Act that would alleviate food deserts by lifting a barrier to fruit and vegetable production in rural areas.
Take Action to Feed America Better