- This event has passed.
The Poor People’s Campaign
May 13 - June 23
Inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, the Poor People’s Campaign is “a national call for moral revival is uniting tens of thousands of people across the country to challenge the evils of systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, ecological devastation and the nation’s distorted morality.” (From the PPC website.)
Themes of Moral Justice
Every week, between May 13 and June 23, people will gather to commit organized, nonviolent civil disobedience in order to address a specific theme of moral justice.
- Week 1 (May 13-19) – Somebody’s Hurting Our People: Children, Women and People with Disabilities Living in Poverty
- Week 2 (May 20-26) – Linking Systemic Racism and Poverty: Voting Rights, Immigration, Xenophobia, Islamophobia, and the Mistreatment of Indigenous Communities
- Week 3 (May 27-June 2) – The War Economy: Militarism and the Proliferation of Gun Violence
- Week 4 (June 3-9) – The Right to Health and a Healthy Planet: Ecological Devastation and Health Care
- Week 5 (June 10-16) – Everybody’s Got the Right To Live: Education, Living Wages, Jobs, Income, Housing
- Week 6 (June 17-23) – A New and Unsettling Force: Confronting the Distorted Moral Narrative
About Calendar Events
JoAnnChateau.com aims to spread the word
about progressive events by putting them on our calendar.
We are not associated with these events, however,
unless specifically stated.